Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Root of Pi Canopy website hero

Canopy Certification: The Gateway to Good Business in Kentucky

March 28, 2023 by


Disclosure: The Root of Pi is Canopy Certified as of March 2023, as such our opinion is definitely slanted in favor of this certification.  The great thing is, if you know…you know.  This certification process is rigorous enough that it’s going to have to be meaningful to your company to go through the process.  At the same time, if your company is a good fit, then the process will be far more rewarding than taxing and you’ll be joining a group of like-mindedAn older style map of Kentucky Kentucky businesses.  The possibilities from such connections are endless!  What follows is a breakdown of the intent and steps involved for on-ramp.  For more information please go to the website and start the process.  The team at Canopy (based in Louisville) is amazing and will help you determine if it’s a fit and the best path forward.


What is the Canopy Certification?

A Louisville-based organization launched in 2021 (, that guides KY businesses towards achieving measurable social and environmental good, operating with the highest ethical standards, and taking care of all stakeholders while also continuously improving over time. EmsanaRX, Field Trip and Wildly Rising were the first three for-profit businesses to enroll and certify early in 2022.

This new certification verifies and provides a comprehensive framework for to improve their own practices and be recognized for their verified efforts. By participating in the program, companies have access to valuable resources and tools, such as Curriculum Learning Modules and Best Practice Case Studies, which help them gain certification and continually grow their positive impact on people, the planet, and our future, certifying their practices, processes and culture around aspects such as governance, environmental impact and leadership along the way.  Participants produce an annual impact report to increase transparency and build trust with the business community, customers and team members.

The Certification Process

To earn the designation, companies need to follow a straightforward, three-step process:

  1. Create an Account: Interested businesses should visit the Canopy Kentucky website, click ‘Apply Now,’ and fill out their certified company information. Once their account is verified, they can begin the Application.
  2. Submit an Application: The application involves providing general information about the company and answering questions in a self-reporting style. Once you’ve submitted the information, the Canopy Team will review the submitted application, approve it, or ask for additional information. Upon approval, companies will be prompted to pay a 20% deposit of their Canopy Certified Fee and gain access to the Canopy Certified Portal.
  3. Get Canopy Certified: Within 12 months, businesses must complete the Canopy Fundamentals, using the resources and tools provided to assist them. Once all fundamentals are approved, companies pay the remaining 80% of the Certification Fee and become Canopy Certified officially. They will then receive marketing and branding materials to showcase their achievements.

Program Fees

The certification fees are based on a company’s annual revenue:

  • With an revenue of 0 – <$249,999, the total yearly fee is $450. The 20% deposit during the application phase is $90, with the remaining 80% yearly fee being $360.
  • With a revenue of $250,000 – $499,999, the total yearly fee is $550. The 20% deposit during the application phase is $110, with the remaining 80% fee being $440.
  • With a revenue of $500,000 – $749,999, the total yearly fee is $650. The 20% deposit during the application phase is $130, with the remaining 80% fee being $520.

The cost of Canopy Certification varies based on the size of the business, making it accessible to companies with different revenue levels. This fee structure ensures that businesses of all sizes can participate in the certification process and commit to social, environmental, and ethical responsibility.

The philosophy behind such pricing is to ensure that companies of any size are able to certify their intent on good business without massive cost barriers preventing their participation, said Scott Koloms, CEO and founder of the organization.

Embracing Accountability through Continuous Improvement Each Year

This process is designed to ensure that businesses remain committed to their social, environmental, and ethical responsibilities through assessment of key metrics and activities. This ongoing process helps maintain accountability and encourages companies to consistently strive for better practices throughout the company’s unique areas of impact.

Showcasing Excellence with Merit Badges

Merit Badges are awarded to companies that demonstrate exceptional achievements in their unique areas of the positive social impact and commitment to environmental action. These badges serve as a recognition of their outstanding efforts and dedication to responsible practices.  The partner portal allows users to achieve merit badges through a series of electives designed to assess progress and help measure engagement each year.

Promoting Responsible Choices with the Seal Credential

The Canopy Certified Seal is provided to companies upon achieving certification, allowing them to display it on their products and at their premises. By choosing to engage with companies that display the Canopy Certified Seal, customers can confidently support organizations that prioritize the well-being of the community, the planet, and the future.

Canopy certified
Canopy certified

The Benefits of Being Canopy Certified

Enhanced Reputation and Brand Image

By becoming Canopy Certified, businesses demonstrate their commitment to social, environmental, and ethical responsibility, which can significantly improve their reputation and brand image. Customers, partners, and investors are increasingly drawn to companies that prioritize these values.

Attract and Retain Top Talent

People want to work companies that share their values and make a positive external impact on the world. Canopy Certification can help businesses attract and retain top talent by showcasing their commitment to responsible practices and a better future.

Competitive Advantage

Canopy Certification can serve as a differentiating factor in the marketplace, providing a competitive advantage over those that do not prioritize social, environmental, and ethical concerns.

Access to Resources and Support

As part of the Program, companies gain access to valuable resources such as Curriculum Learning Modules, Best Practice Case Studies, and the Canopy Certified Portal, which can help them enhance their practices and grow their positive impact over time.

Networking Opportunities

Partner businesses become part of a community of like-minded organizations, opening up opportunities for collaboration, partnerships, and networking with others who share their commitment to good business practices.

As part of Canopy’s commitment, the organization hosts the Good Business Summit each year that brings together purpose driven Kentucky businesses for amazing content and connections.

Improved Business Practices

The process of KY businesses towards achieving this designation involves a thorough examination of an organizations practices, which can help identify areas for improvement and lead to better overall business operations.

Increased Customer Loyalty

Customers are more likely to remain loyal to businesses that share their values and work towards creating a better future for all. Membership can help build and maintain strong customer relationships by showcasing a commitment to social and environmental responsibility.

Demonstrated Commitment to Local Community

This is exclusive to Kentucky for-profit companies, which means that businesses with this certification are showing their dedication to the local community and its well-being through their commitment to positive social and environmental impact.

Long-term Value Creation

By focusing on sustainable and responsible practices, Canopy Certified companies are better positioned to create long-term value for their stakeholders, including shareholders, employees, customers, and the environment.

Increased Visibility

Canopy Certified businesses receive marketing and branding materials that help increase their visibility in the marketplace, allowing them to attract new customers, partners, and investors who value ethical and sustainable practices.

Regulatory Compliance

The Canopy Certification process encourages businesses to stay up-to-date with relevant social, environmental, and ethical regulations, ensuring compliance and minimizing the risk of fines and penalties.

Who Should Earn Certification?

Companies and organizations that should consider pursuing certification include:

  • For profit organizations: As the Canopy Certification is exclusive to for-profit companies operating in  the state of Kentucky, businesses based in the state seeking to demonstrate their commitment to social, environmental, and ethical responsibility should consider this certification.
  • Startups and small businesses: Emerging businesses that want to establish themselves as responsible, ethical, and sustainable from the outset can benefit greatly from the Canopy Certification. It can help them attract customers, employees, partners, and investors who share their values.
  • Businesses looking to improve their practices: Companies interested in assessing their current practices and identifying areas for improvement should consider the Canopy Certification. The certification process can help them make positive changes and enhance their overall business operations.
  • Companies seeking a competitive advantage: Businesses looking to differentiate themselves in the marketplace and gain a competitive edge should consider becoming Canopy Certified. The certification signals to customers, partners, and investors that the company prioritizes social, environmental, and ethical responsibility.
  • Businesses aiming to attract and retain top talent: Companies that want to attract employees who share their commitment to responsible practices and a better future should consider pursuing Canopy Certification. It can help them showcase their dedication to social, environmental, and ethical concerns, leading to higher employee satisfaction and retention.
  • Organizations looking to expand their network: Canopy Certification connects businesses to a community of like-minded organizations, opening up opportunities for collaboration, partnerships, and networking with others who share their commitment to good business practices.
  • Businesses focused on long-term value creation: Companies that prioritize sustainable and responsible practices will be better positioned to create long-term value for all stakeholders. Pursuing Canopy Certification can help businesses demonstrate this commitment and ensure their practices align with their long-term goals.

In short, Canopy Certification is available to organizations seeking to demonstrate their commitment to social, environmental, and ethical responsibility, improve their practices, gain a competitive advantage, and attract top talent.

Final Words

The Canopy Certification offers a valuable program that guides Kentucky businesses towards achieving measurable impacts to social, environmental, and ethical responsibility aims. By pursuing the certification, companies can enhance their reputation, attract top talent, and gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

The Canopy Certification process, supported by a sliding-scale fee structure, enables businesses of all sizes to access resources and tools that help improve their practices and contribute to the Good Business Movement.

As more businesses join the Canopy Certified Program, the collective impact of these organizations will contribute to a better future for people, the planet, and the local Kentucky community.

By participating in this certification program, companies can play a crucial role in fostering a culture of responsible and sustainable business practices, ensuring long-term value creation for all stakeholders involved while also building their own vision of a profitable future.

There you have it, the process in a nutshell (as of early 2023). At the Root of Pi, we’re incredibly stoked to be a part of this amazing movement and are available at any time for any questions you may have regarding certification.  Though we are Louisville-based, we work with partners throughout the Commonwealth and the country.  We can offer only our own outlook though and will happily do a warm introduction to the Canopy team to help you start your journey toward certification.   You can also schedule a meeting at your convenience HERE.

Til next time friends😉